Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Berry Medley Scones


Gracious Hospitality had this lovely recipe for blueberry scones posted from the other day and I just had to try it. La Tea Dah always has such wonderful posts, I really enjoy following her blog.

I don't make it a habit of having dried blueberries on hand though so I had to do a bit of editing on the recipe to make it fit what I had in house. I could have used my dried cranberries but that wasn't the flavor I was going for. Then I remembered the triple berry mixture I had in the freezer. Blueberries, raspberries and blackberries. Perfect! I added them still frozen at the last possible minute to the mixture because I didn't want the berry mush that you get when you thaw frozen berries, rather I wanted the whole berries dispersed through the scones.

I've made these twice since then the first time with mixed berried and again yesterday with frozen sweet cherries to serve
for tea with my girlfriend. They came out wonderfully both times, the ground oats give a wonderful nutty flavor and more hearty texture.


Berry Medley Scones (a slightly altered recipe borrowed from Gracious Hospitality)

1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour

1/4 cup rolled oats, whizzed in blender
2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 cup white sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar NOT packed plus extra for sprinkling
1/4 tsp. cinnamon

1 1/4 frozen berries NOT thawed
1/3 cup olive oil
1 egg
1/4 cup milk

Combine flour, oat flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and sugar in a large bowl. In a cup, blend the egg, milk and oil. Toss the frozen berries into the flour and add the liquid ingredients stirring until the dry ingredients are moist and blended. Work mixture together with hands until a soft dough is formed. Form into a small ball.


Place dough on a floured board. Shape the dough into one large round, about 1/2-inch thick. Place on a baking sheet that's been lightly sprayed with no-stick spray. Using a sharp knife, cut into eight wedges, sprinkle with brown sugar and bake at 350 degrees F. for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.


Serve warm with soft butter.

1 comment:

  1. Oooh these sound SO good! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete